Sunday, October 15, 2017

Literature Review #2

My second Literature review is about Berkley University's Michael Hout's Social and Economic Returns to College Education in the United States. The reason why I like this literature source is it really translates and outlines the benefits to a college education and uses great visuals of graphs. Hout is a very credible source writing plenty of papers on the economics of college and the returns to an education. Before I begin analyzing the piece I found, I think something equally important to note is that I was able to take away another source: Topel's Labor markets and economic growth, which adresses the social returns to an economy from education. Hutch looks at how a return to education can benefit someone absed on how far of an education they get, where they go.. but also looks at the varying returns to an education , based on a persons origin and performance. What I really like from this article is the graphic images I will be able to use in my paper. I will attach some of them below.
The value these graphs will have to my paper is that they are going to add graphic visuals to my paper and will break up the "boringness" of just reading a 10 page paper with words through out. And for those of you still following my blog, I will be resuming it shortly! Soon to come will be a 3 or so page paper on my reasearch proposal , I hope you guys check it out!

Some Quotes I want to use in my paper:
-"Even the most cautious reading of the evidence confirms that earning a college degree will pay back the cost of obtaining it several times over. In a 40-year work life, men with college degrees can expect to earn $1.1 million more than high school graduates"(Hout 387).

-"Highly selective, elite colleges offer two important benefits to students: graduation is more certain (Bowen et al. 2009) and investment per student is higher (Hoxby 2009)." (Hout 388).
 
   I really like this quote because it shows me that Caroline Hoxby, who I have done a literature review on a different paper, has done a paper that talks about the investment per student being higher in 2009 , and there is no way she can just make a claim like that, so she must have proof and evidence to show that the quality of education must be rising and not merely just the tuition.  The hard part I think im going to face when writing my paper(aside from making time) as quantifying the unqauntifable.. quality. Somehow I'm going to have to make quality something I can measure. I currently do not have a plan for it yet, but stay tuned for my proposal!!!

-"People who pursue more education and achieve it make more money, live healthier lives, divorce less often, and contribute more to the functioning and civility of their communities than less educated people do"(Hout 394).



Work Cited:


Hout, Michael. "Social and Economic Returns to College Education in the United States." Annual Review of Sociology 38.1 (2012): 379-400. Web. 15 October 2017.


4 comments:

  1. This looks useful. But, again, I have a lot of trouble reading it -- especially when the text is black against a black background, as is the case with your Works Cited section here (and multiple sections of your previous one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed, though, that this source is from 2012, which makes it a little dated (5 years -- and probably based on data from a couple years before that). You should supplement a source like this with more contemporary data, which you may need to find in non-academic sources.

    By the way, if you like visuals you should check out this great Bloomberg article on the likelihood of jobs being automated:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-job-risk/

    Turns out, college generally protects you from automation, though there are some "striver" careers -- such as accountants -- who remain at some long term danger of losing ground to automation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A useful reading for you would be Newfield's "The Price of Privatization" which you can find under Supplemental Class Readings in our Sakai site's Resources folder. You may want to explore other items in that folder, which could also be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there was an interesting article today on amenities creep in college spending titled The Lure of the Lazy River from the Chronicle of Higher Education (premium content available through any Rutgers computer as Rutgers pays the subscription rate for all students.)

    ReplyDelete